Cotton, Faith and the Land: What I Found in Médina Gounass


Cotton, Faith and the Land: What I Found in Médina Gounass

When I began looking into cotton production in Senegal, I thought I was going to learn about agriculture.

I wanted to know where cotton was grown, which communities produced it, what role cotton played in the rural economy, and whether there was an organic cotton movement that might connect with the sustainable agriculture work I have been interested in for many years.

But the more I learned, the more I realized that cotton in Senegal is not simply a story about a crop.

It is also a story about people, land, faith, labor, community and memory.

One of the places that brought all of these things together for me was Médina Gounass, in the Kolda region of southeastern Senegal.

A Fulbe community and the land

Médina Gounass was founded in 1936 by Mamadou Seydou Ba, a religious leader associated with the Umarian branch of the Tijaniyya Sufi tradition.

The community was largely made up of Fulbe, or Fulani, people, many of whom spoke Pulaar.

But what interested me most was not simply who lived there.

It was the relationship between religious life and agricultural work.

The early teachings associated with the community emphasized prayer, religious study and farming. Agricultural work helped support the community and people who were in need.

In this setting, farming was not simply an economic activity.

Working the land was part of building a community.

That immediately made me think differently about agriculture.

We often talk about farming as though it is simply about producing food or producing commodities. But throughout human history, agriculture has also been a way of organizing society, transmitting knowledge and creating relationships between people and the land.

Médina Gounass offers an example of that older understanding.

When cotton arrived

Cotton entered this story in the 1960s.

In 1963, the French cotton development organization CFDT approached the religious community about experimenting with cotton production.

In 1964, the community planted approximately ten hectares of cotton.

The experiment expanded.

Cotton was grown alongside crops such as millet, peanuts and rice, as well as other agricultural activities.

Médina Gounass eventually became known as an important cotton-producing community.

But the historical record reveals something that I found particularly interesting.

The success of the cotton operation was not remembered only in terms of yields, fertilizer, machinery or technology.

Former farmers remembered collective labor.

People worked together.

Agriculture was embedded in the social organization of the community.

This makes me wonder whether we sometimes misunderstand agricultural productivity when we measure it only through numbers.

A harvest can be measured in tons.

But what about the relationships that make the harvest possible?

The social life of a cotton field

Historical research on Médina Gounass shows that cotton became connected to questions of identity, land and community.

Some Fulbe residents remembered their ancestors as people who had helped physically build the settlement through their labor.

One farmer described the Fulbe workers metaphorically as the "iron bars" holding up the mosque.

That image stayed with me.

It suggests that labor was not simply work.

It was a way of saying:

We helped build this place.

The cotton field therefore became part of a much larger story about belonging.

Who worked the land?

Who had access to land?

Who had authority?

Who belonged to the original community?

Who arrived later?

These questions became increasingly important as Médina Gounass grew.

Migration, drought and changing relationships

During the late 1960s and early 1970s, drought and instability in surrounding areas brought additional people into the region.

The population of Médina Gounass grew substantially.

More people meant greater pressure on land and other resources.

Cotton was now part of a changing social environment.

The community eventually experienced a major division.

It would be too simple to say that cotton caused the conflict. The historical research shows that the issues were much broader, involving land, economics, ethnicity, religious authority and political power.

Cotton became one expression of those deeper tensions.

This is another reason I find the story fascinating.

A crop can begin as an economic activity and eventually become connected to questions of identity and history.

Cotton and Fulbe identity

The Fulbe connection to cotton is particularly interesting because cotton was not simply something imposed from outside onto an anonymous population.

There were Fulbe farmers with their own agricultural traditions, religious institutions and community structures.

Some remembered cotton as part of a period when people worked collectively.

For them, cotton became part of the memory of a particular community and a particular way of life.

This makes me want to ask questions that agricultural statistics cannot answer.

What did farmers know about the soil?

How did they understand rainfall?

What crops did they grow before cotton?

How did they combine farming with livestock?

What did women know about the crops and soils?

What happened to the cotton stalks after harvest?

What agricultural knowledge was passed from parents to children?

And perhaps the most important question:

What did the farmers know that was never written down?

The land as teacher

This question matters to me because I have spent many years thinking about sustainable agriculture.

I have learned that farmers are often treated as though they are waiting for somebody else to bring them knowledge.

But farmers already possess knowledge.

They observe rainfall.

They observe insects.

They understand soil.

They recognize changes in plants.

They know which crops perform well together.

They know what happens when the rains come late.

They know what happens when livestock and crops are integrated.

Some of this knowledge is written down.

Much of it isn't.

It lives in memory and practice.

This is why I am particularly interested in Senegal's more recent experiments with organic cotton and farmer field schools.

The idea is not simply to tell farmers what to do. Farmers experiment, observe results and learn collectively.

That reminds me of something I have always appreciated about community learning:

Sometimes the people closest to the problem are also the people with some of the most important knowledge about the solution.

Cotton today

Senegal's cotton sector today extends across several regions, particularly in the south and southeast.

Important cotton-producing areas include Vélingara, Tambacounda, Kédougou and Kolda.

SODEFITEX, the Senegalese company involved in cotton development and processing, works with thousands of family farms.

Production has been increasing again in recent years.

But today's cotton story is not simply about increasing production.

There are also efforts to develop organic cotton and more diversified farming systems.

In the Tambacounda region, the Bamtare Ndemowo project is working with family farms on organic cotton while also encouraging crop rotation, soil fertility management, vegetable production, livestock and improved access to water.

That approach interests me because cotton does not have to stand alone.

A healthy agricultural system can contain many things.

Cotton can be one crop.

Food crops can be another.

Livestock can be another part of the system.

Trees, soil organisms, water and human labor are all part of the system too.

The question of food sovereignty

This brings up an important question.

What happens when a food-producing community begins producing more of a cash crop?

Cotton can bring income.

Income can be valuable.

But cotton also requires land, labor and other resources.

So the question isn't simply:

How much cotton can Senegal produce?

I think another question is:

How can cotton strengthen rural communities without weakening their ability to feed themselves?

That is a much more interesting agricultural question to me.

Young people and the future

There is another contemporary issue that caught my attention in Kédougou.

Cotton production there has been expanding, but there have also been reports of shortages of labor for harvesting.

SODEFITEX has encouraged greater participation by young people and women's groups.

There are also stories of young farmers choosing agriculture rather than other rural livelihoods, including artisanal gold mining.

This raises another question:

Can agriculture become an attractive future for young people?

That question goes beyond cotton.

It is about whether young people can see farming as something more than a survival occupation.

Can farming provide income, dignity, knowledge and a future?

Can young people combine traditional agricultural knowledge with new technology?

Can they become agricultural entrepreneurs without losing the ecological knowledge of their communities?

These are questions I would want to explore directly with young farmers.

Women and the cotton story

I also don't want to tell a cotton story that focuses only on men.

Women are deeply involved in Senegalese agriculture.

They work fields.

They manage food production.

They preserve seeds and agricultural knowledge.

They participate in farming organizations.

And in the contemporary cotton sector, women's groups are being encouraged to participate more actively.

If I were visiting a cotton-growing community, I would want to sit down with women farmers and ask questions that might not appear in an agricultural report:

Who taught you to farm?

What did your mother teach you?

What crops do you consider essential for feeding your family?

Who decides what is planted?

Who controls income from cotton?

What happens to the cotton money?

What knowledge do women have that men may not have?

These conversations could reveal another layer of the agricultural story.

From cotton field to clothing

There is also an economic question that goes beyond the farm.

Cotton is grown in Senegal, but much of the value can be created somewhere else.

There is a long chain:

farmer → cotton field → collection → ginning → fiber → spinning → weaving → sewing → clothing

The farther along that chain Senegal can go, the more value can potentially remain within the country.

This makes cotton part of a larger conversation about African industrial development.

What would it mean if more Senegalese cotton were transformed into Senegalese textiles?

What would it mean for farmers?

For women?

For young people?

For weavers and tailors?

For local businesses?

For Senegalese cultural expression?

The cotton plant could become more than an export commodity.

It could become part of a local economic ecosystem.

What the land remembers

As I continued reading about Médina Gounass, I became increasingly interested in the relationship between spirituality and agriculture.

The community's history includes a tradition in which religious devotion and agricultural labor were connected.

Even the Daaka, the major religious gathering associated with Médina Gounass, has agricultural traditions connected to working the land.

That made me think about the phrase Sacred Ecology.

Sacred ecology asks us to look at the relationship between people, culture, spirituality and the natural world.

Médina Gounass gives us a very particular African example.

Here, working the land could be understood as more than production.

It could be devotion.

It could be service.

It could be community building.

It could be identity.

It could be memory.

And it could be a way of teaching the next generation.

What I would like to know

If I have the opportunity to visit Senegal's cotton-growing regions, I don't want to go simply to photograph cotton.

I want to meet the people who grow it.

I want to see the fields.

I want to understand what grows beside the cotton.

I want to see what happens to the cotton after it leaves the field.

And I want to listen to farmers.

Especially older farmers.

Especially women.

Especially young people.

I would ask them:

What does the land remember?

That question may not produce a statistic.

It may not fit neatly into an agricultural report.

But it might produce something equally valuable—a piece of knowledge that exists only in the memory of the people who have lived it.

And perhaps that is one of the things that interests me most about cotton in Senegal.

I started looking for a crop.

I found a community.

I found a history.

I found religion, labor and identity.

And I found another reminder that agriculture is never just about agriculture.

The land carries memory.

And sometimes, if we are willing to slow down long enough to listen, the people who work the land can tell us what the statistics cannot.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

​A Love-In Extravaganza: Proof That Grassroots Arts Are New York's Greatest Asset

Workshop Handout Overview: Wiki Edit & Research Framework

From Harlem to Dakar to St. Louis: The WikiExplorers go to the St Louis Jazz Festival