Bread Was Central: What Paris Made Me Remember About American Childhood
Bread Was Central: What Paris Made Me Remember About American Childhood
While attending the 2026 Wikimania Conference in Paris, France, one of the things I noticed wasn't a famous monument or a museum. It was bread.
Bread seemed to have a place in everyday Parisian life that I hadn't fully appreciated until I experienced it for myself. People bought bread at the neighborhood boulangerie. They carried baguettes home. They ate bread with meals. And sometimes, it seemed, bread didn't need much of an explanation at all.
It was simply part of life.
I have always loved French and Italian bread. But being in Paris for Wikimania made me think about bread in a different way.
It made me remember America when I was growing up.
And I realized something:
Bread was central.
The Childhood Sandwich
When I was a child, you didn't need much to make a snack.
You could take two pieces of bread and put jelly between them.
Or peanut butter and jelly.
That was it.
No special recipe. No complicated preparation. No need to look at a package and decide which of twenty different snacks you wanted.
You were hungry.
You made a sandwich.
The bread was the foundation.
Sometimes the sandwich was made with white bread. Sometimes whatever bread was available. What mattered was that bread was always there.
And bread wasn't just for sandwiches.
There was toast.
Bread and butter.
Bread with jam.
Bread with cheese.
Bread with leftovers.
Bread could turn something small into something that felt like food.
Bread Was Part of the Household
Looking back, I realize how much bread was woven into ordinary family life.
There were foods that came and went, but bread seemed permanent.
You could open the kitchen cabinet or refrigerator and find something that could go with bread.
Bread was practical.
It was filling.
It was inexpensive.
And it gave people choices.
A slice of bread could become breakfast. It could become lunch. It could become an afternoon snack. It could even help stretch leftovers into another meal.
There was something democratic about it.
You didn't have to be a great cook.
You didn't need a recipe.
You needed bread.
Paris Made Me See It Again
While walking around Paris during my Wikimania visit, I began noticing bread differently.
The baguette wasn't presented to me as some exotic French specialty.
It was ordinary.
And that may be exactly what made it special.
There is something beautiful about a food that is both culturally important and completely ordinary.
You don't have to celebrate it every day because it is already part of everyday life.
The neighborhood bakery becomes part of the rhythm of the community.
You go in.
You buy your bread.
You walk out.
Life continues.
That experience made me think about how much of American food culture has changed.
From Bread to Packaged Snacks
Today, when children get hungry between meals, there are countless packaged foods available.
Chips.
Cookies.
Granola bars.
Crackers.
Fruit snacks.
Protein bars.
Candy.
Frozen snacks.
Individual packages of almost everything.
There is nothing inherently wrong with having choices. But I sometimes wonder what we lost when food became increasingly disconnected from the simple preparation of something in the kitchen.
When I was growing up, a snack could be remarkably uncomplicated.
Bread. Peanut butter. Jelly.
That was a snack.
And it could be made by a child.
There was a little independence in that.
You could go into the kitchen and make something for yourself.
The Sandwich Was a Little Piece of Independence
There is something else I appreciate about the humble sandwich.
Children could make them.
A peanut butter and jelly sandwich didn't require an adult standing over you.
You could spread the peanut butter.
Put the jelly on.
Put the slices together.
Cut it—or don't.
And eat.
It was a small act of self-sufficiency.
Perhaps that is one reason these foods remain so powerful in our memories.
They weren't just things we ate.
They were things we learned to do for ourselves.
Bread and the Idea of Enough
I also think bread represented something deeper:
enough.
You didn't need a lot.
A piece of bread could quiet your hunger.
Add something to it and you had a meal.
This was especially meaningful in working families, where food had to be practical and resources had to be used wisely.
My own childhood memories make me think about the way previous generations approached food.
There was less emphasis on constantly consuming something new.
You used what you had.
You made something from it.
You didn't necessarily need a different snack every day.
There was comfort in repetition.
Then Bread Became Complicated
Somewhere along the way, bread became controversial.
Suddenly we heard that bread was something to avoid.
Carbohydrates became something to fear.
White bread was criticized.
Gluten became part of everyday conversation.
Bread became associated with diets, weight loss and restriction.
Of course, there are legitimate reasons some people need to avoid particular foods, and different kinds of bread have different nutritional qualities.
But I am thinking about something larger than nutrition.
I'm thinking about culture.
What happens when a food that was once ordinary becomes something people feel they have to apologize for eating?
French Bread Reminded Me to Enjoy Food
My experience in Paris reminded me that food can also be about pleasure.
There is something wonderful about tearing off a piece of fresh bread.
You notice the crust.
You notice the texture.
You smell it.
You taste it.
Maybe you put a little butter on it.
Maybe olive oil.
Maybe cheese.
Maybe nothing.
And suddenly you realize that something doesn't have to be complicated to be satisfying.
That is one of the things I love about French and Italian food traditions.
There can be tremendous attention given to the quality of ordinary things.
Good bread.
Good olive oil.
Fresh vegetables.
Cheese.
Fruit.
A simple meal.
The ordinary is allowed to be good.
The Memory of Bread
Perhaps that's why I have found myself eating more French bread lately.
It isn't just that I like the taste.
It brings back something.
It reminds me of childhood.
It reminds me of the kitchen.
It reminds me of simple snacks.
It reminds me that food doesn't always have to be complicated.
And Paris gave me another way of looking at that memory.
I saw a culture where bread still visibly occupies a place in everyday life.
Then I came home and realized that bread had occupied a similar place in my own childhood.
The circumstances were different.
The traditions were different.
But the basic idea was familiar.
Bread was there.
What We Remember About Food
When we talk about food, we often talk about nutrition.
How many calories?
How much protein?
How many carbohydrates?
How much sugar?
Those questions have their place.
But food is also memory.
Food is family.
Food is geography.
Food is economics.
Food is culture.
Food is childhood.
Sometimes a food reminds us of who we were before we became adults and started analyzing everything we ate.
A peanut butter and jelly sandwich wasn't a nutritional calculation.
It was lunch.
It was a snack.
It was something you could make yourself.
It was simply part of life.
Bread as a Connection
So now, when I eat a piece of French bread, I sometimes think about Paris.
But I also think about America.
I think about childhood.
I think about kitchens.
I think about simple sandwiches.
I think about how much our food culture has changed.
And I think about how certain foods quietly travel through generations.
Bread is one of those foods.
It crosses borders.
It crosses cultures.
It crosses economic classes.
It appears in different forms all over the world.
A baguette in Paris.
A rustic loaf in Italy.
A slice of bread in an American kitchen.
Different traditions.
Different histories.
But the same basic human idea:
Take something simple, make it nourishing, and share it.
Maybe that is what Paris made me remember.
Bread wasn't simply something we ate.
Bread was central.
And sometimes, traveling far away can make us see something from home that we had stopped noticing.
For me, Paris did exactly that.
It made me look at bread again.
This version also makes the essay more specifically your Wikimania experience rather than a general Paris travel memory.

Comments
Post a Comment